Hansel & Gretel

An opera poster created using Gingerbread 18in x 24in

Concept Development
For this project, we had to plan and construct a three dimensional illustration and photograph it with a certain purpose in mind. I wanted to experiment with constructive type. Inspired by the large Opera posters seen all throughout the Vienna U-Bahn, so my application of this project would be an opera poster. I chose the opera Hansel and Gretel and thought about different ways of using candy, gingerbread, and breadcrumbs to construct a dynamic image while also hinting at the plot of the opera. I knew I wanted the letters of "Hansel & Gretel" to be made out of Gingerbread, so I ordered some cookie cutters online. After that I sketched different ways that the two gingerbread figures could combine with the breadcrumbs and other elements to create the witch's silhouette. 

Execution: First Shoot
I tried several iterations for the hat in the studio with all of my candy and breadcrumbs. Critical in achieving the recognizable side profile was getting her eye right. I tried first to make it out of licorice. For the bread crumb trail, I tried to use white bread crumbs first. When the hat was still not apparent, I tried filling in the trail with gumdrops.

On the First Shoot, I also tried many iterations of how the Gingerbread title could be laid out. 
Execution: Second Shoot
I went back into the studio to experiment with the form of the hat and the eye. I brought Twizzlers, with which to experiment making different eyes and writing out the composer's name with.
I created a more clear breadcrumb trail out of Belvita cookies, as the white bread in my earlier shoot had been lost on the white background. I also experimented with creating the witch's eye out of bread crumbs as well. 
Studio Set Up. I experimented with continuous lighting as well as strobe lighting. 

FInal Iteration of the Witches Hat and Eye using Belvita Crackers as the dust.

Opera Company Logo: 
I picked the San Francisco Opera for this poster, because I remembered their logo as a starburst form. I saw the opportunity to replace the starburst with a Starlight mint, to give the poster a playful feeling. 

See More

Wiener Werkstätte
2017
Book Cover
2017
Musical Words
2017
Bewegt Records
2017
Carnival of the Animals
2017
Macro Music
2017
Senior Recital Posters
2017
Music Education Poster
2015
Back to Top